Sunday, July 7, 2013

How to modify accented keys on osx

Hello and welcome to my blog. This is my first post ever. For this very special post I chose a question that I had from the first day I start using lion until I solved it (recently). One of the best features of lion is accented keys, at least for me. I am a bilingual and I usually need special characters like δ,Δ and so. I thought it should be perfect to be able to change accented key list and I even asked this question to a mac genius but he couldn’t answer. At that time I thought it was really impossible. But believing in search proved me right one more time. Long story short I am going on steps how to change default accented keys on your mac.

 STEPS

 1. Go to System>Library>Input Methods (don’t forget to enable writing rights for each folder)
 2. Right click PressAndHold.app and show content.
 3. Go to Content>Resources and choose your keyboard layout.
 4. Open that file, which should be something like Keyboard-xx.plist, with your favorite text editor.
 5. Edit keys you want. (You can see my layout from the picture)

Please don’t forget that you need to do it for both capital and lower case. In fact you don’t have to for example I have α when I press and hold for “a” and other default characters for capital version. So a has 9 variants and A has 8 and it is not a problem.
6. (Optional) remove writing rights for folders.
 7. Enjoy!

 Please comment if you have questions or suggestions or just to share which characters you added and which ones you removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying to include webp to PDF

 Trying to include webp to PDF